Understanding and mitigating bias is a lifelong journey. This course provides a review of bias, explores what bias can look like and how it shows up in the workplace. We specifically look at the types of bias common in the workplace and platforms that allow bias to thrive; while discussing strategies you can use to interrupt and mitigate bias.
There are five modules in the learning suite:
- Unconscious Bias Primer (self-paced, pre-requisite for Module 2)
- Hidden Racial Bias (self-paced, pre-requisite for Module 3)
- Institutional Bias (self-paced, pre-requisite for Module 4)
- Interpersonal Strategies for Interrupting and Mitigating Bias in the Workplace and Institutional Strategies for Interrupting and Mitigating Bias in the Workplace (virtual workshops)
- Unconscious Bias in Recruiting and Hiring (online learning course in MyLINC)
Note: Flint and Dearborn participants should email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 734-764-HELP to gain access to Canvas.
You will learn to:
- Recognize unconscious, institutional and racial bias
- Identify how individuals participate in upholding a culture of bias
- Develop strategies for how to interrupt and mitigate bias in the workplace
You will benefit by:
- Implementing strategies to interrupt and mitigate bias in the workplace
- Integrating strategies into organizational structures to reduce unconscious, institutional and racial bias in your workplace
- Becoming a better colleague to the various individuals in your workplace
Anyone who would like to examine how unconscious bias can affect their perceptions, decisions and interactions
This Learning Suite is an expanded replacement for the Unconscious Bias in Everyday Life in-person sessions that Organizational Learning has held for the past several years. We encourage everyone to participate in this new learning suite—even if you have taken Unconscious Bias in the past. This is a more robust learning experience with additional learning opportunities that take the learning from awareness to skill building in an easy-to-digest format.
If you are a Michigan Medicine employee, please note that this learning suite does not fulfill the state requirement for implicit bias education. The Office for Health Equity and Inclusion has created an Implicit Bias course to fulfill the state requirement that is now available.
Flint and Dearborn participants should email email@example.com or call 734-764-HELP to gain access to Canvas.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Domain and Expectation
- Create value for the diverse communities we serve
- Build positive culture
- Member of a Team
- Leading a Team
- Leading Multiple Teams
- Leading the Organization
- Level 1: Awareness
- Level 2: Skill building