Unsure where to go next with your career? Discover your strengths and preferred behaviors so that you can make career choices that match your skills (or be more successful in your current position).
You will learn to:
- Identify your personal strengths through analysis
- Apply your personal strengths in your career
- Evaluate your individual patterns of behavior through assessment and match them to distinct career paths
- Describe the importance of a good fit between career areas and temperament
- Explore career possibilities you may not have considered and evaluate them against your strengths and behaviors
- Determine the gap (if any) between your current career and your long term goals
- Recognize ways to network properly that can lead to new job experiences
- Find alternative ways to develop experience in new job areas so you can realize the goals of your career plan
You will benefit by:
- Knowing your strengths and behaviors and how they apply to your career decisions
- Making a voyage of self exploration to determine which career path is right for you
- Having a written plan mapping out where you would like to go with your career, based on personal findings
- Gaining a clearer sense of direction about your career
- Becoming aware of the actions you need to take as a head-start in pursuing your plan
This class is split into two components. The first half of the class will take place online, over a two week period. The second half of the class will take place in the classroom with an instructor. Online, you will complete two different tools and have a chance to discuss them with an instructor and the other students.
You will complete:
- Career Maze® an evaluation to help you identify your behavior patterns and the types of jobs they are compatible with
- The Work Importance Locator – a tool to assist you in prioritizing the aspects of your career that are important to you
Anyone who would like to understand their strengths and apply them to their career path
These sessions are being offered at no cost to U-M faculty and staff, thanks to sponsorship from U-M executive officers. Pre-registration with a shortcode is required as there is a $50 cancellation fee that takes effect two weeks prior to the course. If you attend the course, or arrange for someone to attend in your place, your department will not be charged.
- Career Development
Development of Self and Others