We are constantly bombarded by noise that makes real listening increasingly difficult. This leads to missing important information, frustration and alienation from others. This workshop will help you take control of your listening environment so you can be a better listener.
You will learn to:
- Recognize the importance of silence within a conversation
- Distinguish between verbal noise and true content
- Identify your own personal listening bad habits
- Practice listening for key words within a conversation
- Construct questions to assist you in listening more fully to others
- Determine when listening is most difficult for you
You will benefit by:
- Increasing your ability to listen well
- Improving your overall performance at work and home
- Connecting more fully with others
- Decreasing the noise in your life that prevents you from listening well.
Check out the following resources for additional learning on this topic:
- Improving Your Listening Skills (LinkedIn Learning course)
- Effective Listening (LinkedIn Learning course)
LinkedIn Learning is available at no cost to all active students, faculty and staff (including temporary employees). View more information about LinkedIn Learning at U-M.
Anyone who wants to maximize their listening skills and improve interpersonal relations
Pre-registration with a shortcode is required as there is a $50 cancellation fee that takes effect two weeks prior to the course. If you attend the course, your department will not be charged.
Domain and Expectation
- Member of a Team
- Level 2: Skill building