A successful project planner must demonstrate flexibility and competency in many areas, from the traditional “hard” skills of managing schedule, budget and project scope to the “soft” skills of relationship building, change management and project communication. During this session, you will learn how individuals from all levels and areas of the university have the opportunity to develop and apply project management skills.
You will learn to:
- Define a project and develop a charge that provides clear expectations
- Discuss the importance of determining milestones and timelines to support the life cycle of a project
- Develop a project plan that includes action steps and a breakdown of the work that needs to be accomplished
- Evaluate and prioritize resources in your plan to determine if time adjustments need to be made to meet your deadlines
- Identify key stakeholders and manage their input during important communication milestones by using stakeholder maps
You will benefit by:
- Gaining a fundamental understanding of the key elements needed in a basic project plan
- Learning how some of the basic project planning tools are being used at the university
- Obtaining reference tools that you can use when you develop your next project plan
This program covers fundamental project planning topics and is not intended for those who specialize in, are certified or have received extensive training in project management. To further expand your skills, you can also take Applied Project Planning at U-M.
Check out the following resources for additional learning on this topic:
- Project Management Foundations: Small Projects (LinkedIn Learning course)
- Project Management Foundations (LinkedIn Learning course)
LinkedIn Learning is available at no cost to all active students, faculty and staff (including temporary employees). View more information about LinkedIn Learning at U-M.
Anyone with project management responsibilities who would like to be more proactive in their project planning
Pre-registration with a shortcode is required as there is a $50 cancellation fee that takes effect two weeks prior to the course. If you attend the course, your department will not be charged.
- Professional Skills
Domain and Expectation
- Achieve results
- Member of a Team
- Level 3: Specialized skill building