This session will focus on using the power of questions to support development planning. You will learn about (and practice) using exploratory questions to promote more meaningful and engaging conversations about employee development goals and opportunities to help employees do their best work. Information covered can be used to support employees in their career journeys, as well as clarify and align their contribution to team, unit, and/or organizational goals. Finally, ideas, tools, and resources shared can be used starting today!
You will learn to:
- Explore engaging development conversations and the supportive conditions that promote them
- Identify questions that can be used as conversation starters for development planning using the “You”, Plan, Do, Review” Model
- Practice asking positively-framed exploratory questions within a safe environment
You will benefit by:
- Leveraging opportunities to create environments that support meaningful and engaging conversations about development
- Promoting employee engagement based on open and honest dialogue between leaders and staff
- Discovering opportunities for employees to develop in areas they are passionate about using the power of questions
Check out the following resources for additional learning on this topic:
- Finding and Retaining High Potentials (LinkedIn Learning course)
- Having Career Conversations with Your Team (LinkedIn Learning course)
LinkedIn Learning is available at no cost to all active students, faculty and staff (including temporary employees). View more information about LinkedIn Learning at U-M.
Faculty and staff at any level wishing to promote meaningful, engaging conversations about development and create an environment that focuses on our greatest asset–our people
Pre-registration with a shortcode is required as there is a $50 cancellation fee that takes effect two weeks prior to the course. If you attend the course, your department will not be charged.
Domain and Expectation
- Collaborate and build inclusive relationships
- Coach and develop others
- Build positive culture
- Member of a Team
- Leading a Team
- Leading Multiple Teams
- Leading the Organization
- Level 2: Skill building