The University of Michigan defines a family member as follows:
- Spouse: Husband or wife as recognized in the State of Michigan.
- Other qualified adult.
- Read the definition of definition of other qualified adult.
- Child, sibling, parent, or grandparent of the employee, the employee’s spouse or other qualified adult.
- Parent means a biological, adoptive, step or foster father or mother, or any other individual who had daily responsibility for the care and financial support of the employee, the employee’s spouse, or other qualified adult during the individual’s childhood.
- Other related individual whose care is the responsibility of the employee, the employee’s spouse, or other qualified adult.