The Staff Impact Awards celebrate those who champion volunteerism and service within the university — going above and beyond by taking on additional challenges. It honors staff who are wall-breakers and bridge-builders — people who find ways to collaborate across units and find solutions to make the workplace better for us all. It seeks to recognize staff, supervisors, and teams that make an impact with their work, locally and beyond. And it celebrates the innovative, as well as those who support flexibility in the workplace. The awards were developed from recommendations of a Voices of the Staff committee, and created as part of the university’s bicentennial celebration, in order to recognize the value of staff who do exemplary work and build a positive culture.
Congratulations to the 2019 Staff Impact Award and President's Staff Award of Distinction Recipients!
Founding an international professional organization. Doubling student voter turnout. Creating a model of workplace flexibility. Teaching thousands of middle school students how to live healthy lives. These are a few of the remarkable accomplishments of the recipients of the 2019 Staff Impact Awards. Eleven individuals and three teams were presented with the University of Michigan Staff Impact Awards on Monday. Among the recipients, one individual and one team also received recognition from President Schlissel for innovative contributions to the university.
Laurita Thomas, Associate Vice President for Human Resources, opened the presentation ceremony at the Michigan League Ballroom and presented certificates along with members of the award selection committee, and videos provided by nominators. Read more and see photographs of the event in the University Record.
Individual Staff Impact Award recipients:
- Patrick Armatis - UM Dearborn-Mardigian Library
- Dr. Christine Asidao - Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Mary Ceccanese - Ross School of Business Office of Tax Policy Research
- Cathy DeMars - UMH Psych Nursing Mental Health
- Yuri Fukazawa - Center for Japanese Studies (International Institute)
- Gerald Hoff - Patient Business Services
- Dr. Blaire Moody Rideout - Ross School of Business Office of Undergraduate Programs
- Lilly Fink Shapiro - School of Environment and Sustainability
- Will Sherry - Spectrum Center
- Tim Wood - Staff Human Resources
- James Zajkowski, Information Technology Services
Team Staff Impact Award recipients:
- The Big Ten Voting Challenge Team - Ginsberg Center
- HR Communication Management Team - University Human Resources
- Project Healthy Schools - MHealthy
President’s Staff Awards of Distinction
President Mark Schlissel presented two special awards of distinction specifically to honor recipients whose accomplishments displayed innovation. The President’s Staff Awards of Distinction were presented to James Zajkowski, Information Technology Services, and Project Healthy Schools, MHealthy.