Your strategy is critical to creating and maintaining the desired mix of diversity on your team. Key objectives for an effective recruitment strategy are outreach to create the most diverse candidate pools and attracting qualified candidates when the diversity of the applicant pool is less than desired, specifically with regard to women and minorities.
Developing a diversity recruitment strategy should include a formal review of your department’s current business processes (i.e. internal controls) and modifying them to complement your diversity recruitment strategy.
Recruitment Strategy Resources at U-M
- Business Intelligence Reports (University Human Resources): Customized reports from Human Resource Records and Information Systems can help managers make informed decisions about department staffing and hiring.
- Career Path Navigator: This web-based tool can help managers assist staff with career development planning.
- Business and Finance Division Search Guidelines for Recruiting and Hiring for Staff Diversity and Excellence: Business and Finance Division Search Guidelines focus on recruiting and hiring for diversity and excellence. The manual was developed to assist supervisors in conducting careful and thorough searches, so that Business & Finance will continue to be an innovative and productive service provider.
- International Center: The International Center provides a variety of services to assist international students, scholars, faculty and staff at U-M.
- Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI): OAMI is a student-focused office located on Central Campus that administers a variety of educational multicultural programs.
- Office for Institutional Equity: OIE provides leadership and support on matters relating to equity, diversity, respect and inclusiveness for all members of the U-M community.
- Office of Multicultural Health and Cultural Competency: This office aims to improve accessibility, utilization, and the quality of care received by U-M’s diverse patient population.
- Recruiting and Employment Services: Recruiting and Employment Services assists departments in the recruitment and retention of an outstanding workforce.
External Recruitment Strategy Resources
- College and University Personnel Association for Human Resources (CUPA-HR)
- LGBT CareerLink: Out & Equal's LGBTCareerLink links diversity-friendly employers with LGBT talent.
- Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM): Visit the SHRM website for access to HR Magazine and articles and papers on recruiting for diversity.