Planning for elder care involves much more than just a few phone calls or emails. You will need to know the answers to specific questions when talking with family members, health care providers and others involved in the care of your loved one, especially in emergency situations. Below are questions to consider as you plan the care of your loved one. There is a lot of work involved, so be sure to involve others who will be able to take an active role.
- Collecting Information - Worksheet
- Create a caregiving plan
- Contact resources
Questions to consider:
- What information do I need to gather?
- Begin to collect pertinent contact information
- Talk with family, friends and professionals to solicit their input
- Who do I need to involve?
- What family members or close friends can take an active role in providing care?
- Who are the professionals I need to contact? (doctors, lawyers, financial institutions and advisors, etc.)
- Who will take care of these important things during a crisis?
- Plants and flowers
- Outdoor maintenance
- Where do I find help?