When you register, you will receive an email with contact information for the Kids Kare service provider, Kennedy Care/Safe at Home. If you are sure that your family is registered, and you need us to resend the information, contact us.
Before you request service, please note:
- If your child is mildly ill or if your regular child care is unavailable on short notice, and you must be at U-M (at work or school), Kids Kare may be able to help.
- Because there are a limited number of available caregivers, Kids Kare service is not available for scheduled child care and school closings, such as school holidays, breaks, and teacher work days.
- Care is generally not available for snow days and during severe weather conditions that make travel hazardous.
- During peak flu season or other periods of unusually-high request volumes, such as unscheduled school closings, there may not be enough caregivers to fill all requests.
- Care is not available for children who have contagious conditions (e.g., head lice).
- Care is not available for infants under the age of 6 weeks.
- Requests for care at unique hours, such as afternoon work shifts, or in locations only partially served, are contingent upon caregiver availability in each instance.
- Request service as soon as you know that you'll need care, including the day before or morning of, but no more than one week in advance. When you request care online, there is a drop down box in which you put the day that you need care. Kennedy Care will advise you once they receive your request, and will try their best to schedule a caregiver for you.
- Clients who fail to make required service payments for previous care will not be eligible for service until payment is received in full.
When you request service:
- Please contact Kennedy Care/Safe at Home per the instructions you received by email following online registration. Please search for that email (and bookmark or save to your favorites if possible). If you are sure that your family is registered, and you cannot find the information, please contact us.
- Kennedy Care/Safe at Home will do their best to secure a caregiver based on your service needs. They will contact you with an update or confirmation. Please note: Kennedy Care/Safe at Home office is open from 6:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. Care requests received after 9:00 p.m. will not receive a reply until after 6:00 a.m. the following morning.
- The process of scheduling care, from the time you request a caregiver to the time the caregiver arrives at your home, can take 4 hours or more.
- There is a minimum service usage of 4 hours per day.
Although Kennedy Care/Safe at Home can fill many caregiver requests, we encourage you to build a "safety net" of care providers, prior to needing backup care. For example, some U-M Ann Arbor families interview and get to know a couple of Family Helpers or other caregivers each school year, and use them for occasional care so they have babysitters in place if needed. Other options may include family members or trusted friends and neighbors with daytime availability, and licensed child care centers and homes that may be able to offer backup or drop-in care if space is available (inquiring with and visiting programs ahead of time is strongly recommended).