- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup mild salsa, store bought or homemade
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt, plain, whole milk
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon dried ancho chili powder or sub regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or dried bread crumbs, gluten-free or whole wheat
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, 93%/7%
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce and salsa, set aside.
- In a medium saute pan, over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 min., stirring every couple of minutes. Add the cumin, ancho chili powder, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Cook an additional 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped garlic and saute 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, greek yogurt, worcestershire sauce and 1 cup of the tomato/salsa mixture. Add the bread crumbs, cilantro, ground turkey and cooled vegetable mixture.
- Mix and work all the ingredients together with your hands until well combined. Turn out onto parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a meatloaf, about 12" X 6" X 3" high. Pour the remaining tomato/salsa mixture onto the top of the meatloaf and spread evenly to cover .
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake 50-55 minutes or until juices run clear and the top and edges are slightly browned. Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Slice into 10 slices and serve.