- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large baked sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish (if desired)
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Meets Cardiac Rehab guidelines
- Warm olive oil in a medium sauce or soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook stirring often until soft. Add garlic and ginger and cook another minute.
- Stir in jalapeno, coriander and nutmeg. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool before blending.
- Blend with upright or immersion blender (be careful when blending hot liquids). An upright blender will give you a smoother, silkier soup.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- When ready to serve, re-warm in the original soup pot. Ladle into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.
- Dairy Free
- Gluten Free
- Quick and Easy
- Cardiac Rehab