Enrolling and Changing Your Health Coverage

When to Enroll

Generally, there are three times when you can enroll in or change your health plan at the University of Michigan:

How to Enroll

When you first become eligible, you will receive an email with instructions on when and how to enroll in benefits. Enroll online through Employee Self Service > Benefits on Wolverine Access.

After you enroll in benefits online, you will receive an email confirmation. For help with enrollment, call the SSC Contact Center at 5-2000 from the Ann Arbor campus, 734-615-2000 locally, or 866-647-7657 toll free, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

ID Cards

Your health plan ID cards will be mailed to you directly from your health plan company within 4-6 weeks after you enroll and receive your confirmation statement. Contact your health plan directly for questions about how to receive and pay for services before your ID card arrives.

Coverage Levels

As an active employee, you can choose coverage at the following levels in any U-M health plan, or you can waive coverage. Separate coverage levels are available for U-M retirees.

  • You only
  • You and Adult
  • You and Child
  • You and Children
  • You and Adult and Children

“Adult” refers to your spouse or other qualified adult (OQA). “Children” refers to your dependent children.

Waiving Coverage

If you fail to enroll or waive health coverage within the 30-day deadline, you will be defaulted to no health plan coverage and no prescription drug coverage (or as specified by your collective bargaining agreement), and you will be unable to enroll until the next Open Enrollment period. See the HIPAA Notification of Health Plan Re-Enrollment for more information on waiving health coverage.

Transgender Community

The Benefits Office has designated a specific staff member who is a member of the LGBT Ally Program and is knowledgeable about and sensitive to transgender persons and their unique benefit related issues. Faculty and staff members with questions about benefit issues related to transgender status are encouraged to contact Kate Van Valkenburgh at 734-647-4021 or katevv@umich.edu.