Keeping fit can seem like a full-time job, but if you look for opportunities to exercise, stretch and relax while working, you will find it's possible to do your job well while practicing good health habits. Taking care of yourself is important to your ability to take care of our patients and their families.
On Your Way to and from Work
- Bike or walk to work if possible.
- If you take the bus, get off one stop early and walk the rest of the way.
- If you drive to work, park further from the entrance and walk briskly from your car.
- Park on the higher floors of the parking structure, and take the stairs to and from your car.
- Practice slow, deep breathing as you come into work.
- Try smiling at three different people you pass on your way into work.
- Take the stairs rather than the elevators.
- Walk the medical center during lunchtime; finding a walking partner helps.
- On your way to the Cafeteria, take the long way; short distances add up!
- Stretch at your desk several times a day.
- Change the way you sit at your desk; find several comfortable positions in your chair and use them every day.
- Try abdominal breathing for a relaxing break.
- Make a point of looking out a window or walking outside to get fresh air and clear your senses.
- Practice a different stress management strategy every day.