In 2019, Health and Well-Being Services continued to impact thousands across the university. More than 25,609 unique faculty and staff members engaged in programs and services offered through MHealthy, Mental Health Counseling and Consultation Services and Occupational Health Services (OHS).
Highlights from 2019 calendar year include:
- MHealthy Rewards and Active U continued to be among our most popular offerings, with more than 20,700 and 10,000 participants, respectively.
- Aligning with the President’s Poverty Solutions initiative, MHealthy continued its work to address basic needs and food security among faculty and staff. We supported food cupboards in units and finalized plans for a Resource Coach pilot program.
- Mental health services saw a near 10% increase in demand for services and introduced new ways to address burnout, resilience, trauma, mood and sleep. Additionally, more than 2,300 out-of-state employees now have access to short-term counseling services.
- Occupational Health Services saw more than 32,800 visits. Services included flu immunizations, workplace injury evaluations, physical therapy, new employee health screenings and more.
- In response to data showing back pain as a high priority health risk for U-M employees, MHealthy and OHS launched the Back Pain Triage Program. Employees can access free medical evaluations for non-work related, acute low back pain.
- Project Healthy Schools (PHS) benefited more than 45,000 students and was implemented in nine new schools in 2019. Now in 120 schools, PHS continues to demonstrate significant and lasting improvements in health behavior and cardiovascular risk factors.
- The university was again recognized as a leader in employee health and well-being, receiving both the Michigan’s Best and Brightest in Wellness Award and Healthiest Employers of Michigan Award.
Thank you to university leadership and our partners for their support in growing a healthy university culture. We look forward to continuing to work with you and contributing to the excellence of the university.