To participate in Active U Autumn, you must be a current University of Michigan faculty or staff member, graduate or undergraduate student, retiree, alumni, or spouse/Other Qualified Adult (OQA) of a faculty or staff member. You may participate on your own, or you may join/form a team.
Logging activity minutes
In Active U Autumn, you are asked to track your physical activity minutes for eight weeks, Sept. 19 – Nov. 13, 2022. Activity minutes are logged in the Active U Autumn tracker. Minutes can be logged manually or by syncing a tracking device or mobile app. It is recommended that you log your minutes on a weekly basis, but you are welcome to log more frequently. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Monday through Sunday.
You will have a 14-day grace period to log your activity minutes. The program ends on Nov. 13, but you will have up to Nov. 28 to log back two weeks. Please note that a week in the tracker runs Monday through Sunday.
Activity that "Counts"
Activity that "counts" is any moderate or vigorous activity that is performed for a minimum of 10 continuous minutes.
- Moderate intensity aerobic activity means working hard enough to raise your heart rate while still being able to carry on a conversation. Examples are a brisk walk, cycling at moderate speeds, mopping, or light manual yard work.
- Vigorous intensity aerobic activity causes rapid breathing and a substantial increase in heart rate. Examples include jogging, heavy manual yard work, or aerobic fitness classes like Zumba or spinning.
For a list of recommended types of activities, visit the Sample Exercises page.
Completing Active U Autumn:
To successfully complete Active U Autumn, you must:
- Answer the Active U Autumn pre-survey questions (available when registration opens on September 6, 2022)
- Achieve your weekly activity goal minutes. Included in this is exercising at least 30 minutes a day, at least four days per week. The minimum weekly goal allowed in the program is 150 minutes.
- Achieve your weekly activity goal at least 6 out of the 8 Active U Autumn weeks.
- Answer the program survey questions (available starting October 26, 2022).