Back Pain Triage Program


If you recently began experiencing non-work related, lower back pain and are not sure what to do next, contact the Back Pain Triage Program.

This quick response service for U-M faculty and staff includes a free evaluation and consultation by a health care provider and access to resources that can help to relieve your pain and prevent future occurrences. Call today for fast scheduling.

The Back Pain Triage Program is a collaboration between MHealthy and Occupational Health Services.

What is Acute Back Pain?

Acute back pain is relatively short-term pain, stiffness and/or muscle tension usually along the lower back. It typically lasts a few days to a few weeks, tends to resolve on its own with self-care, and usually doesn’t result in a lasting loss of function.

Gain Access to Pain Management Services, including:

  • Assessment and consultation with a health care provider
  • Educational resources
  • If appropriate, referral to physical therapy
  • Specialized back pain exercise classes - FREE back pain classes start Sept. 23 and 24, 2019. Learn more and register (search using activity number 486208).
  • Online resources
  • Back pain self-management support groups


The evaluation and consultation by a health care provider is free.

Specialized exercise classes are fee-based.

Set Up an Appointment:

To schedule an appointment, call us at (734) 936-7465. Please note: Appointments are not being offered until early October, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience. 


The Back Pain Triage Program is located inside the Wellness Center on the 8th floor of University Hospital South. Once you get to UH South, take the #9 elevator to the 8th floor. The Wellness Center is directly in front of the elevator. Please ring the blue and white doorbell to let us know you have arrived. 

Is This Program for Me?

When in doubt, call us. We can help determine whether you should come in or take other measures. 

However, this program is for non-work related acute lower back pain. If you think your pain is work-related, please contact Occupational Health Service.