How to Request Assistance

Start by making a phone call.

If you work on the Ann Arbor, Flint or Dearborn campus, call the Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) at: 734-936-8660

If you work in the Health System, call the UMHS Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at: 734-763-5409

A counselor will ask questions by phone or email to ensure the situation meets basic eligibility criteria.

FASAP/UMHS EAP counselors will refer applicants to community resources whenever possible for assistance or when longer term help or debt management may be appropriate.

If the counselor recommends that an application be made for assistance through the Hardship Fund. the following steps are taken:

  1. Applicant completes an Emergency Hardship Fund application and meets with a FASAP/UMHS EAP counselor to review the application.
  2. Application is reviewed by the Hardship Fund Review Committee.
  3. FASAP counselor notifies applicant of the Review Committee's decision.
  4. If approved, payment is made directly to the vendor or creditor to which the applicant has a financial obligation.

Financial assistance is based on demonstrated need, short-term nature of the financial hardship and available funding. All grants are considered income and are subject to income taxes. For more information, read Frequently Asked Questions About the Emergency Hardship Program