More than a dozen university areas were recognized with MHealthy Ergonomics Department Awards for implementing ergonomic solutions in their workplace. Winning areas have reduced risk factors and reduced or prevented employee discomfort by adding or modifying equipment or redesigning work processes.
2018 Gold Level Winners:
- Centralized Endoscope Reprocessing Department: Included ergonomic principles in its new department redesign and implemented ergonomic improvements such as adjustable heights in sinks, assembly tables, and computer workstations.
Photo: adjustable height sinks installed in the Centralized Endoscope Reprocessing Department.
- Michigan Medicine Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Implementation Team (SPHM): Successfully implemented the Safe Patient Handling and Mobility Program in-patient launch, which is designed to reduce the number of patient and employee injuries, lost work days from injuries, and improve the overall quality of patient care.
Photo: Michigan Medicine Nursing staff demonstrate how a patient is transferred to a wheelchair using a portable full body lift and sling.
Silver Level Winners:
- Office of University Development
- Student Academic Affairs
Bronze Level Winners:
- Regulatory Affairs
- Pharmacy Department
- Athletics/Athletic Medicine
- Radiology Call Center
- Cancer Center Clinical Research Unit - Ravitz
- Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum
- Facilities & Operations Metal Shop M5050
- Briarwood Medical Group
- Unit 6B, General Medicine, University Hospital
- East Ann Arbor Surgery Center Operating Room
Winners were recognized at one of three award levels and were based on the significance of the ergonomic issue and the success of the ergonomic solution. Gold level winners are awarded a healthy celebration sponsored by MHealthy and receive other acknowledgements such as plaques, Ergo Hero certificates, and lapel pins. Silver level winners are recognized with a certificate of recognition and bronze level winners receive a letter of appreciation. A complete list of winners is available on the Ergonomics Department Awards webpage.
All entries were reviewed by the Ergonomics Awareness Team, made up of representatives from MHealthy; Environment, Health and Safety (EH&S) in Ann Arbor; Safety Management Services; Environmental Health and Safety in Dearborn; and Environment, Health and Safety in Flint.
“This year’s gold-level recipients are great examples of how ergonomic solutions can lead to safer work processes and higher employee satisfaction,” says Amie Rush, Senior Ergonomist
for Safety Management Services. “All of our 2018 nominees are champions in creating safer work environments and helping to raise awareness around the importance of ergonomic risk reduction and improving employee comfort.”
The Ergonomics Awareness Team continues to accept nominations for the MHealthy Ergonomics Hero Award, which recognizes individual faculty and staff members, including supervisors and managers, who are reducing ergonomic risks by using recommended postures, work strategies or equipment. Employees can be nominated year-round and recipients are recognized with an Ergo Hero lapel pin and a congratulatory certificate.