With health and money the major concerns of many in the U-M community, TIAA and Fidelity Investments are offering free financial help.
As the only companies officially associated with U-M to assist faculty and staff with retirement planning, TIAA and Fidelity offer free, one-on-one counseling sessions to benefit-eligible employees. They are trusted organizations with international reach and long relationships with the U-M community.
Changes for COVID-19
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, both institutions have temporarily stopped personal consultations to protect the safety of investors and staff. Until further notice, advisors are available for virtual and phone appointments. To schedule:
Visit tiaa.org/schedulenow or call 800-732-8353, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., EST
Visit netbenefits.com/uofm or call 800-642-7131, weekdays from 8 a.m. to midnight, EST
First-time visitor? Get an idea of what your consultation will be like by watching this video.
Live and on-demand webinars
TIAA and Fidelity also offer timely webinars to guide investors through specific situations, such as market volatility caused by the pandemic and financial options related to the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act. Access these live events from your computer, smartphone or other smart device.
In March, TIAA hosted a special program, Global Lookout: When is it safe to come out?, a webinar addressing investment strategies during this financially challenging time. You can access it in TIAA’s library.
Upcoming webinars include:
- Market insights – Tuesday, May 5, 2 p.m.
- Myth-busting: investing in megatrends – Thursday, May 7, noon
- Technical analysis for volatile times – Tuesday, May 12, noon
- Market insights – Tuesday, May 12, 2 p.m.
- The anatomy of a recession – Wednesday, May 13, noon
- Investing 101: what you need to know – Thursday, May 14, noon
- Market insights – Tuesday, May 19, 2 p.m.
- How to get started: ETFs for a volatile market (3 sessions) – Wednesday, May 20, starting at 11 a.m.
- Decoding the options Greeks for your trade – Tuesday, May 26, noon
- Market insights – Tuesday, May 26, 2 p.m.
- Volatility's effect on the Greeks and options trading – Thursday, May 28, noon
- Estate planning basics – Tuesday, May 12, noon
- Start to finish: the early career woman's guide to financial wisdom – Tuesday, May 12,
- Lifetime income: market-proof your retirement – Wednesday, May 13, noon
- Paying yourself: income options in retirement – Wednesday, May 13, 3 p.m.
- The 411 on 529 college savings plans – Thursday, May 14, noon
All times are EST. Both partners also have a variety of on-demand webinars for viewing whenever your time allows.
To register for the live webinars, go to:
Remember your beneficiaries
When evaluating any financial asset, make sure your beneficiary information is current for your retirement accounts and life insurance policies. It takes just a few minutes here – and can save considerable money, stress and family strife.