Save Money With a Flexible Spending Account
There's still time to enroll in a Flexible Spending Account! If you want to participate in an FSA for 2024, take action by November 29, 2023.
What is a Flexible Spending Account?
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) allow you to pay for out-of-pocket health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. Your contributions are subtracted from your paycheck before taxes are calculated, so you save money on taxes.
U-M offers three kinds of FSAs:
- The Health Care FSA is used to pay for eligible out-of-pocket medical, dental, orthodontic, and vision expenses for you and your covered dependents.
- It is available to individuals not enrolled in the Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP).
- The Limited Purpose FSA covers eligible dental, orthodontic and vision expenses for you and your covered dependents.
- IMPORTANT: It is only available to individuals enrolled in the Consumer-Directed Health Plan (CDHP).
- The Dependent Care FSA is for eligible daycare expenses for a dependent child under the age of 13, or elder care for a dependent adult, while you and your spouse work (or if your spouse is a full-time student or disabled).
Enroll in a Flexible Spending Account
Your form must be completed by Nov. 29, 2023 to have your Health Care FSA funds available on Jan., 1, 2024.
If you submit your form after Nov. 29 but before Dec. 31, you may incur eligible expenses in January, but you will not be able to use your card or file claims on your account until after Feb. 1, 2024.