It is hard to believe but flu season is almost here. Each year, millions of people get influenza and hundreds of thousands are hospitalized or even die from flu-related causes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, influenza vaccination is the best way to prevent the flu.
For the 2019/2020 season, U-M faculty and staff have several options for receiving their flu vaccination on campus.
Michigan Medicine and Medical School Faculty and Staff
Michigan Medicine faculty, staff, medical/nursing students and volunteers can receive free flu vaccinations at flu clinics across medical campus beginning on September 23. Vaccines are also available at U-M Occupational Health Services in the Med Inn Building or from clinical unit flu liaisons.
Campus Faculty, Staff and Students
Walk-in flu shot clinics are scheduled for U-M Ann Arbor campus faculty, staff and students; the UM-Dearborn campus; and UM-Flint campus. U-M retirees, spouses, and other qualified adults (OQA) can also attend. Must be 18 or older.
MVN has increased the number of health insurance plans it accepts. In addition to U-M Premier Care, U-M Student Insurance, and GradCare, individuals covered under any accepted insurance plan will not have to pay out-of-pocket. Those not covered can still receive a flu shot for $30. Pay by check or credit card.
2019/2020 Ann Arbor Campus clinics (for U-M campus employees, students, employee spouses, and retirees):
- Oct. 22, 3 - 7 p.m., Michigan League - Vandenberg Room (2nd floor)
- Oct. 23, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Pierpont Commons - East Room
- Oct. 24, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Duderstadt - Room #1120D and Connector Hallway Space 3
- Oct. 30, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Michigan League - Michigan Room (2nd floor)
- Nov. 4, 2 - 6 p.m., Michigan League - Kalamazoo Room (2nd floor)
- Nov. 23, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Michigan League - Kalamazoo Room (2nd floor)
- Dec. 3, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Pierpont Commons - East Room
- Dec. 5, 4 - 8 p.m., Michigan League - Kalamazoo Room (2nd floor)
- Jan. 11, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Michigan League - Room D (3rd floor)
- Jan. 14, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Michigan League - Room D (3rd floor)
Onsite Department Clinics:
Dozens of campus departments, units and buildings have scheduled onsite clinics for their employees. Before attending a walk-in clinic, faculty and staff should check with their department’s administrator or contact MVN at UMFluClinics@med.umich.edu or 734-975-322 to see if their area has planned an on-site flu shot clinic.
Walk-in flu shot clinics at UM-Dearborn is open to faculty and staff and their spouses/OQAs:
- Nov. 6, 12 – 5 p.m., University Center, Kochoff Hall C
- Nov. 11, 12 – 5 p.m., University Center, Kochoff Hall C
- Nov. 12, 12 – 5 p.m., College of Business and CEHHS Faculty Staff Lounge, 2nd floor of Fairlane Center South
The walk-in flu shot clinic at UM-Flint is open to faculty and staff and their spouses/OQAs:
- Nov. 12, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., Harding Mott University Center, UCEN Happenings Room
Campus flu shot clinics are provided through a partnership between MHealthy, Michigan Visiting Nurses, and Student Life. For more information on Ann Arbor, Flint and Dearborn campus employee flu shots, visit MHealthy's webiste, email UMFluClinics@med.umich.edu, or call 734-975-3225.
In addition to these clinics, non-Michigan Medicine employees can also get a flu shot through their primary care provider.