If your new year’s resolution was to beef up your retirement accounts or plan for unexpected expenses, sound guidance is available.
U-M partners with TIAA and Fidelity Investments, trusted organizations with international reach. As the only companies officially associated with U-M to assist faculty and staff with retirement planning, they offer free, one-on-one counseling sessions. This video gives you an idea of what to expect during your first retirement consultation.
To schedule an appointment:
- Visit tiaa.org/schedulenow or call 800-732-8353, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., eastern standard time
- Visit netbenefits.com/uofm or call 800-642-7131, weekdays from 8 a.m. to midnight, eastern standard time
Both TIAA and Fidelity have offices located near U-M campuses.
Live in 2020
If you’d rather dip your toe into financial planning through TIAA and Fidelity’s online webinars, each offers several monthly programs. You can access these live events from your computer, smartphone or other smart device. Speakers are experienced financial planning strategists who can help you better position yourself for retirement, whether it’s a few years or a few decades away.
Upcoming webinars include:
Making smarter trading decisions with Active Trader Pro – Tuesday, Jan. 14, noon
- Learn from investing legends for 2020 – Thursday, Jan. 16, noon
A look into 2020 with Asbury Research – Friday, Jan. 17, noon
Fine-tuning your portfolio – Tuesday, Jan. 21, 3 sessions; first starts at 1 p.m.
Quarterly sector update – Thursday, Jan. 23, 3 p.m.
Making the most with options in 2020; a webinar series – Tuesday, Jan. 28, noon
New year, new options – Thursday, Jan. 30, 3 p.m.
- Introduction to estate planning – Tuesday, Jan. 14, noon
- Quarterly economic and market update – Wednesday, Jan. 15, noon
- Strategies for staying on track – Wednesday, Jan. 15, 3 p.m.
- 10 predictions for the year – Thursday, Jan. 16, noon
- Lifetime income: looking to turn your retirement savings into a paycheck for life? – Thursday, Jan. 16, 3 p.m.
- Quarterly market update: Q1 2020 – Thursday, Feb. 6, 4 p.m.
- Determining entry and exit points with technical analysis – Tuesday, Feb. 11, noon
- Comfortable with the uncomfortable: risks and opportunities in the market – Wednesday, Feb. 12, noon
- New resources for bond investors – Thursday, Feb. 13, noon
- Opportunities in sectors you may have missed – Friday, Feb. 14, noon
- Tips from experts: research and idea generation – Thursday, Feb. 20, noon
- Making the most with options in 2020; a webinar series – Tuesday, Feb. 25, noon
- How a trading checklist can help enhance your potential profits – Thursday, Feb. 27, noon
- Introduction to trusts – Tuesday, Feb. 11, noon
- Tomorrow in focus: saving for your ideal retirement – Tuesday, Feb. 11, 3 p.m.
- Lifetime income: market-proof your retirement – Wednesday, Feb. 12, noon
- She’s got it: a woman’s guide to saving and investing – Wednesday, Feb. 12, 3 p.m.
- Cybersecurity @home – Thursday, Feb. 13, noon
- Within reach: transitioning from career to retirement – Thursday, Feb. 13, 3 p.m.