November is National Caregivers Month with the theme “Take Care to Give Care.” This theme emphasizes how self-care is key to navigating the role of caregiver. Consider these self-care tips to help reduce stress and promote resiliency:
- Accept help: Do not try to do everything on your own. Have a list of things others might do to help.
- Attend to nutrition, sleep, and exercise: While time is limited, these are crucial to maintaining your health.
- Learn community resources: There may be services for transportation, meals, and visitors nearby.
- Prioritize your own health: See your physician and report any physical symptoms, keep up with regular screenings and let your health provider(s) know you are a caregiver.
- Remember your social network: Try to stay connected with family and friends who offer emotional support or provide brief respite from your caregiving duties.
- Join a support group: Such groups are a source of validation, problem-solving and support from individuals having a similar experience.
The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) facilitates a monthly "Stress Relief for Caregivers" support group.
When: Second Tuesday of each month, now until May 10, 2017
Time: 11:45 am to 1:00 pm
Where: Administrative Services Bldg., Room 2072L East & West
Register: Contact Tina at 936-8660 or via email at email@example.com