Active U Autumn, MHealthy’s eight-week physical activity challenge, returns to encourage the entire university community to get moving this fall! Register now through Sept. 17. Start tracking your exercise minutes on Sept. 18.
Offered twice a year, Active U promotes physical activity, friendly team competition, and reaching a weekly exercise minutes goal based on your current amount of activity.
“I was an Active U team captain this past winter and I enjoyed the playful competition and was motivated by my teammates’ success stories, which helped me stay on track with my own physical activity,” says Listron Mannix, center and project manager for the Center for Sexuality and Health Disparities, U-M School of Nursing.
Mannix understands the value of regular exercise and sustainable effort. As a pre-teen and teenager, he weighed more than 300 pounds and was able to get the weight off by eating everything in moderation and maintaining a good balance.
“For me, Active U is not about losing weight or pushing yourself beyond your limits,” says Mannix. “It’s about motivating and encouraging each other to move a little more, have fun, and feel good.”
- Friendly team competition – Join a team or create a team with your coworkers, U-M friends, or spouse/other qualified adult (OQA). Team rosters must be set by Sept. 17. You can also participate as an individual.
- Updated online tracker – Improvements based on Active U participant feedback make it easier to log activity minutes and see weekly progress.
- Sync to your device or app – The tracker supports a number of wearable activity devices and free apps like Fitbit, Jawbone, Garmin, Withings, Misfit, MapMyWalk, RunKeeper, and more.
- Donate to charity – This year, you can make an optional donation towards the Michigan Alzheimer’s Disease Center.
- Opportunity to win prizes – Continue to track your exercise through the end of the program to have a chance to win Amazon gift cards!
- Be a part of a huge community – This past winter’s Active U program drew more than 12,000 participants.
- Qualifies for Rewards – Benefits-eligible faculty and staff who successfully complete the first two weeks of Active U Autumn can earn 25 points toward MHealthy Rewards 2018. For more information, log into the StayWell Portal at www.mhealthy.umich.edu/rewards.
Active U Autumn is open to university faculty, staff, graduate and undergraduate students, retirees and spouses/OQAs of employees.