Having a robust variety of employee benefits means that sometimes, you’ll have questions.
Where should you start with inquiries about your U-M benefits, including health plans, retirement savings plans, career/professional development, and more?
At Your Fingertips…
The Human Resources website was designed to be a first resource for benefit questions. You’ll find user-friendly details about all U-M benefits, as well as videos to help expand your knowledge, forms and documents you might need, and even virtual fitness streaming services through MHealthy.
If you need further clarity, the Shared Services Contact Center (SSC) is U-M’s one-stop shop. SSC representatives offer one-on-one service to employees, dependents, retirees and survivors.
Now You Know x 3
To help employees learn more about their benefits, SSC will periodically share its top questions/answers. View the top three inquiries for July:
- I’m a new employee. How can I learn more about my benefits?
- A U-M Benefits Orientation presentation will give you a quick look at the basics. For the long, more detailed view, download Your Benefits 2022.
- I’m considering retiring from the university. What’s my first step?
- View the Retirement Checklist. This guide includes 10 crucial steps, from attending a planning class to getting a checkout kit. With this information, you can feel confident as you meander or sprint toward retirement.
- If I leave U-M for a different employer, what’s the last day I’ll have benefits?
- U-M health, dental and vision plans end on the last day of the month that you terminate your employment, unless your last day is the first day of the month.
- For example: If your last day is Aug. 1, 2022, your health, dental and vision coverage ends Aug. 1, 2022. If your last day is between Aug. 2-31, 2022, your coverage ends Aug. 31, 2022. This is not the case with all benefits, however. View for more details regarding how leaving the university affects your long-term disability (LTD) insurance, Health Care Spending Accounts, Retirement Savings Plans and more.
You Ask; SSC Answers
Still need some clarity or a second set of eyes to check what you read on the HR website? SSC representatives are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. The team breaks from 1-2 p.m. daily for lunch.
Here's how to connect with the SSC: