Frequently Asked Questions
Are the caregivers employed by U-M?
No. The provider for this service is an agency called Kennedy Care/Safe at Home. Caregivers are screened, trained, and employed by this home health care agency.
Under what circumstances could my request for care be turned down?
(there are limits to service availability):
- Priority will be given to pre-registered parents/guardians. We encourage you to pre-register, even if you are not sure that you will need service during the year.
- Caregivers are dispatched on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority being given to mildly ill children when their parents need to be at work/on campus, rather than requests for back-up care (i.e. regular child care unavailable).
- Care is not available for school/summer camp closings, school holidays, or snow days.
- There are a limited number of available caregivers. During peak flu season or other periods of unusually-high request volumes, there may not be enough caregivers to fill all requests.
- Care may not be available during times of severe weather conditions that make travel hazardous.
- Care is not available for children who have contagious conditions (e.g. head lice).
- Care is not available for infants under the age of 6 weeks.
- Requests for care at unique hours, such as afternoon shifts, or in locations only partially served, are contingent upon caregiver availability in each instance.
- Clients who fail to make required service payments for previous care will not be eligible for service until payment is received in full.
Can I share care with another family?
No. Due to liability issues, this service may only be used for the child or children residing in the home of the U-M affiliate who is scheduling care.
Can grandparents use this service?
If you are a grandparent employed by U-M, and the child lives in your home, then you may use the service.
How can I give feedback about my experiences with the program?
The provider will send a customer satisfaction survey with each bill. The results of that survey are communicated to the U-M Work/Life Resource Center. You can also provide feedback directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (734) 936-8677.
What if I have other questions about the program?
The U-M Work/Life Resource Center oversees this program. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or (734) 936-8677.
What if I have to cancel my service?
If the service has been arranged more than 48 hours before care is needed (“prearranged”), a charge of $82 will be assessed if the agency does not receive notice of the cancellation 24 hours prior to service, and the agency has reserved and confirmed a caregiver with the family.
If the service has been arranged less than 48 hours before care is needed, a charge of $82 will be assessed if the agency does not receive notice of the cancellation by 9:00 p.m. the night before service, and the agency has reserved and confirmed a caregiver with the family.