In this section:



U-M Geriatric Social Workers              
U-M Geriatric Social Workers are licensed, clinical social workers who work with physicians and psychiatrists to provide coaching, guidance and support to clients.  This service is available to faculty, staff and eligible family members within the University of Michigan System.  For those struggling with memory loss, depression, local and long distance caregivers,  or other issues, meeting with a Geriatric Social Worker could clarify options and offer some peace of mind. Call 734-764-2556 to schedule an appointment.

Housing Bureau for Seniors/Housing Counseling          
The Housing Bureau for Seniors works with adults 55 and older, throughout Washtenaw County, to find answers to questions about housing and care options. Housing Bureau Counselors provide decision- making tools to assess options such as staying in your home or moving to a senior setting with or without care, The Elderly Eviction Prevention Program helps people to stay in their own homes and the Foreclosure Prevention Program considers the individual's financial and personal situation to help prevent homelessness. Call 734-998-9346 for information.

Turner Senior Resource Center and Wellness Programs - U-M Geriatric Center & Institute of Gerontology             
The Turner Senior Resource Center (TSRC) offers community outreach programs to senior citizens and their families through U-M. Information on many issues, such as healthcare, eldercare, mental health, education, assistance at home, finances, transportation and insurance can be obtained by accessing the website or by visiting the center. TSRC also offers several support groups including Caring for Aging Relatives, and Silver Club programs that help members living with Dementia improve their memory, motivation, mood and overall well being. Call 734-998-9353 for more information.

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP)      
The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FASAP) is available to U-M University Staff and Faculty Staff, retirees and benefit-eligible dependents and departments.  By scheduling a meeting with FASAP counselors, eligible clients are able to discuss problems they are facing. FASAP also facilitates a monthly, lunch-hour caregiver support group during the academic year. Call FASAP at 734-936-8660 for more information.

UMHS Employee Assistance Program (EAP)     
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is a short-term counseling service for active U-M  Health System employees and their immediate families. EAP counselors can help work through workplace and/or personal problems.

U-M Family Helpers                       

The Work/Life Resource Center Family Helpers web site displays names and profiles of U-M students and U-M benefits-eligible retirees who may offer elder care. Rate of pay and other details are negotiated between the U-M family and the Family Helper.

U-M Geriatrics Center and Institute of Gerontology
The Geriatrics Center offers educational opportunities to health care professionals, advancing research on the healthcare issues of older adults and exemplary multidisciplinary care and services for the older population.

UHR-FMLA Tutorial         

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA) training tutorial is intended as a personal resource for university employees.  For example, if an elderly family member needs care, and a U-M employee needs to take a short-term, non-paid leave of absence in order to provide care, this tutorial would aid the employee in understanding the requirements regarding the FMLA. You may want to talk with your Human Resources representative to discuss which part of FMLA is eligible to be paid.

 back to top


Alzheimer’s Association – Michigan Chapter       
The Alzheimer's Association Helpline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in 140 languages. Highly trained staff, knowledgeable about all aspects of Alzheimer’s disease, can help you find your way through the many different components involved in dealing with Alzheimer’s disease. Staff can answer questions, provide tips and respite care options, assess your needs, point out available services within your community, provide referrals and help with planning, problem solving, and provide emotional support and supportive listening.

Area Agencies on Aging – Michigan       
The Area Agency on Aging 1-B is non-profit agency covering Livingston, Macomb, Monroe, Oakland, St Clair, and Washtenaw Counties. The mission of the Area on Aging is to help a senior, or person with disability, remain living independently, in their own home, for as long as possible. Clicking one of the many links provides information on Medicare, Medicaid and many community resources for Southeast Michigan. For counties outside of this area, see “NATIONAL ELDER CARE RESOURCES.

Catholic Social Services                                    
Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County (CSSW) is committed to improving the lives of our community's most vulnerable citizens. By providing information on adoption, food assistance, homelessness prevention and many other programs, individuals and families, of all faiths and varying economic situations, will receive the support needed to improve their lives.

Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living             

The Ann Arbor Center for Independent Living is committed to the growth and improved quality of life of children, youth and adults with disabilities at home, school, work and in the community.  The CIL focuses on assisting clients in accessing community resources, Independent Living Coaching and individualized counseling, housing transitions, technology that promotes independence, peer support, volunteer and training opportunities, Sports, Recreation & Arts, Career Services, Volunteer and Training Opportunities, Small Business Development Assistance, Skill-building classes, Occupational Therapy Assessments, Disability-Related Training for Businesses & Organizations and Staffing Resources for Employers.

Medicaid – State of Michigan     
The aim of the Michigan Medicaid Health Care Program is to provide medical and health-related assistance to low-income individuals and families who have no medical insurance, or inadequate medical insurance. Applicants must typically be 65 or older, blind or permanently disabled, members of families with dependent children, children in foster care homes, pregnant women and individuals under 21 years old in psychiatric hospitals.

Neighborhood Senior Services  

Neighborhood Senior Services (NSS) is a county-wide support system for the elderly. The NSS reaches out to older adults in need of assistance with the activities of daily living. It provides reliable and affordable services, support, and advocacy so that they may remain living at home safely, comfortably and with dignity.

Medicare - State of Michigan     

You can apply for Medicare online or get a new Medicare Card.  This site can help you find Health and Drug Plans, find Out What Medicare Costs, see if Medicare covers a specific test, Item or Service, find out how Medicare works with your other insurance or get extra help with prescription drug costs.

State of Michigan Department of Human Services (search all licensed, residential care settings statewide) 

Families can search this database of all residential care facilities in Michigan, including nursing homes, adult foster care homes, and assisted living centers. These facilities care for the elderly and/or those with disabilities. Families are strongly encouraged to check the licensing records of any facility they are considering for a loved one; recent inspection reports and any recent Special Investigation Reports appear on this database. A facility's complete licensing history (3-5 years ago or more) can be easily obtained via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request at: http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7-124-5455_27716-81183--,00.html

back to top


Area Agencies on Aging – National        
“The mission of AoA is to develop a comprehensive, coordinated and cost-effective system of home and community-based services that helps elderly individuals maintain their health and independence in their homes and communities.”


Care.com is a national database. By entering your zip code, Care.com will direct you to local resources that will enable you to obtain information on local child care, pet care, senior care, tutoring, and housekeeping. Care.com is a also a source for articles on topics of interest. There is a fee to access.

American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) 
The American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) is the nation's leading organization for people age 50 and older. It advocates for the needs and Interests of older adults through providing information, education, programs and events.

National Center on Elder Abuse 
Directed by the U.S. Administration on Aging, the NCEA is a resource for local, state and national policy makers, social service, health care practitioners, the justice system, researchers, advocates, and families. Their primary mission is to ensure that organizations throughout the United States that work with the elderly will help to insure that older Americans are able to live with dignity, integrity, independence and without abuse, neglect, and exploitation.

Administration on Aging (AoA)            
The Administration on Aging 1-B (AoA) is non-profit agency whose mission is to help seniors, or those with disabilities, remain living independently, in their own home, for as long as possible. Clicking one of the many links provides information on Medicare, Medicaid and many community resources for Southeast Michigan.

The National Council on the Aging (NCOA)            

The National Council on the Aging (NCOA) primarily works with community organizations and professionals to promote the dignity, self-determination and well-being of older persons through a wide variety of services and programs.      

Elder Care Locator
www.eldercare.gov/ or 1-800-677-1116
The Eldercare locator is a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging.  It provides
local information, referral resources, and contact information for state and local agencies, from the United States' Health and Human Services.

Geriatric Care Manager (GCM)
This is a resource for finding a geriatric care manager -- a health and human services specialist who acts as a guide, advocate, and resource for families caring for older relatives and persons with disabilities. The GCM is trained and experienced in any of several fields related to care management, including nursing, gerontology, social work, or psychology.

Lotsa Helping Hands   
This website provides you the opportunity to create a free, private Community web site to organize family and friends during times of need. Use the calendar in your private Community to match volunteers to needed tasks. Send announcements to keep everyone up to date. Tap into resources from leading caregiver and health organizations.

back to top