I-9 Guidelines: Acceptable Documents to Verify Identity and Work Eligibility
It is the employer's responsibility to complete Section 2 and 3 of the Form I-9 to verify both the new employee's identity and work eligibility. On the back of the Form I-9 there is a list of acceptable documents. List A provides a list of documents that establish both identity and work eligibility. List B provides a list of documents that establish identity only. List C provides a list of documents that establish work eligibility only.
You must fill out either (1) List A; OR List B and List C. It is an error to fill out all three columns. It is also an error to fill in List A and List B or List A and List C.
The revised Form I-9 (effective 4/3/09) reflects changes made to the list of documents acceptable for Form I-9 in accordance with the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) recent interim final rule. The rule furthers DHS’s ongoing effort to increase the security of the employment authorization verification process.
The new rule:
- Requires that all documents presented during the verification process be unexpired;
- Eliminates List A identity and employment authorization documentation Forms I-688, I-688A, and I-688B (Temporary Resident Card and outdated Employment Authorization Cards);these are no longer issued and have now expired
- Adds foreign passports containing certain machine-readable immigrant visas to List A;
- Adds to List A as evidence of identity and employment authorization valid passports for citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI), along with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI
- By adding to List A the FSM and RMI passports, with a valid For I-94 or I-94A, citizens of the FSM and RMI will be able to use their passports in the I-9 process without the need to obtain a separate Employment Authorization Document.
The current form, which was released in April 3, 2009 contains an updated Lists of Acceptable Documents.
Under List A, the following documents are no longer acceptable documents:
- Any document that is expired for List A, B, or C
New Acceptable Documents
On the revised Form I-9 (04/03/2009) two documents that were added to List A (Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization) on the List of Acceptable Documents:
- A temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa in addition to the foreign passport with a temporary I-551 stamp; and
- A passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with a valid Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.
© 2003 The Board of Regents of the University of Michigan
Last revised: April 2009