The University of Michigan faces a variety of complex institutional challenges. To address these challenges, Human Resources, in collaboration with our partners in schools, colleges and units across the university, must provide knowledge, service and excellence that transcend organizational boundaries. This strategic plan aligns Human Resources with ten top priorities identified through discussion and consultation with senior university leaders, our U-M HR community and human resource thought leaders in higher education.
- WORKFORCE EXCELLENCE: Maintain and increase the excellence of the faculty and staff to sustain our position as a great public research university.
- BUSINESS INFRASTRUCTURE EFFICIENCY: Enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of business processes and technology to support excellence and control costs.
- GLOBAL COMMUNITY: Provide faculty and students with international learning and teaching experiences that will prepare them to be effective and contributing members of the global community.
- INNOVATION AND DISCOVERY: Create an environment that fosters innovation, discovery, collaboration and interdisciplinary research.
- WORKFORCE DIVERSITY: Increase the diversity of our faculty and staff to ensure that a broad set of ideas, cultural experience and knowledge remain hallmarks of U-M teaching and research.
- HIGH ETHICAL STANDARDS: Ensure that our actions and behaviors are grounded in high ethical standards and contribute to a respectful and welcoming work environment.
- HEALTH AND WELL-BEING: Advance health care detection, treatment, prevention and policy that will improve the health of our community, the nation and the globe.
- LEADERSHIP: Recruit, retain and develop the successors for U-M leadership and mission-critical roles to provide strategic direction and lead in innovative learning and research.
- SUSTAINABLE ENVIRONMENT: Enact tools and strategies to enhance sustainable practices in all of our operations and to ensure the viability and quality of our environment.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT: Develop partnerships with industry and government to transform leading-edge research into innovative joint ventures that drive economic growth and entrepreneurship.