What Should You do if You Feel That You Have Been Subjected to Discrimination or Harassment?

The university encourages individuals to resolve their concerns on an informal basis, if appropriate. Problem-solving processes on campus are offered by various university offices, such as the Office of Institutional Equity, Mediation Services for Faculty and Staff, the applicable Ombuds Office, the Office of the Dean of Students, the Office of the Dean of the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies, the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities, Academic Human Resources, Staff Human Resources, U-M Flint Human Resources, U-M Dearborn Human Resources, and Health System Human Resources. See Section XIX for contact information. In addition, Unit Human Resources Officers can assist employees who believe they have been subjected to discrimination and/or harassment. Visitors to campus may contact any of the offices listed above to express concern regarding their visit to campus.

Additional resources for persons experiencing discrimination or harassment include the Center for the Education of Women; the Women of Color Task Force; the Association of Black Professionals, Administrators, Faculty and Staff; the Commission for Women; the Academic Women’s Caucus; the Business and Finance Diversity Committee; the Council for Disability Concerns; the Spectrum Center; the President’s Advisory Commission on Women’s Issues; the International Center; and the Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center. Contact information for these offices appears in Section XIX.

It is often difficult to confront a person who is engaging in discrimination or harassment. Such interaction is not required, and can be particularly difficult when the person engaging in discrimination or harassment holds actual or perceived power over the person at whom it is directed. There are occasions, however, when an individual feels able to speak to the person engaging in discrimination or harassment to tell that person that the behavior is offensive and to stop. This can be done in person, by telephone, email or letter, and may resolve the matter without further intervention. The offices identified immediately above and in Section XIX are able to provide assistance at any time.

If informal attempts at resolution are not appropriate or are unsuccessful, or if a person does not want to explore an informal means by which to address the concerns, the university is committed to providing prompt and effective resolution to incidents of alleged discrimination or harassment. Persons who wish to pursue a complaint may do so by utilizing the applicable procedure.

If the complaint is against a student, the complaint may be lodged with the Office of Student Conflict Resolution or, for graduate students, with the Rackham School of Graduate Studies (see contact information in Section XIX).

If the complaint is against a faculty or staff member, the appropriate procedure for lodging discrimination and harassment complaints generally is Standard Practice Guide (SPG) 201.89.1, Discrimination and Harassment or, for sexual harassment, SPG 201.89, Sexual Harassment, unless an alternate mechanism is provided for in an applicable collective bargaining agreement.