New employee health screenings
UM Occupational Health Services (OHS) provides health screenings for employees hired into the UMHS or who transfer from another department. This is a mandatory part of the hiring process to be completed prior to the first day of "Michigan Tradition and Values" training.
Once a new employee has been hired:
Steps for New employees:
- Obtain a medical record number (MRN) by calling Registration at 734-936-4990 (long distance callers should call toll-free at 866-452-9896). Let registrar know you are a new hire and need to register or update your registration. You will be given your Medical Record Number (MRN). Please keep this handy when scheduling your New Employee Health Screening.
- Call UM Occupational Health Service at 734-764-8021 during our regular business hours (Monday – Friday; 7a – 4:30p) to schedule your new employee health screening. We will make every effort to schedule an
appointment at a time that is convenient for you. When you call, please make sure you have the following information available (you may be asked for this information):
- Job Title
- Department name
- UM ID# (if known)
- Start date
- MRN (medical record number)
- Regular or Temporary status
- Obtain a copy of your immunization records from your primary care office, your current employer, or your college health office. You will need to bring proof of the following vaccinations (if available) to your
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis)
- Varicella (chickenpox): proof of two vaccines, lab confirmed immunity or physician documention of history of disease.
- MMR (measles, mumps and rubella): proof of two vaccines or lab confirmed immunity
- Hepatitis B: proof of 3 vaccines or lab confirmed immunity
- Influenza vaccine is an annual requirement
- TB test: if available
- The visit will take approximately 30 minutes depending upon the requirement for your position. During the OHS screening appointment, your immunization status will be reviewed, you will be given valuable information about OHS services; you may be fitted for a respirator and have a vision test depending on your job category. Directions and parking information will be sent to you after you call for your appointment.
- Use the "How do I know if my new employee needs to process through OHS" tool to determine if your new employee needs to process through OHS. This form is also located in the blue box on this page and on the OHS website (blue 'Short Cuts' box)
- If health screening is required, supervisor must complete and submit the New Employee Routing Form to UM Occupational Health Services. This form is also located in the blue box on this page and on the OHS website (blue 'Short Cuts' box) and contains employee information regarding their new position, department ID code and contact information.