Classes & Workshops
Open to all U-M employees, free of charge.
Click on the workshop title to see its description.
Creating Possibilities: Skillfully Responding to Life Stressors
This two-part series provides participants an opportunity to learn new ways to respond to life's stressors and acquire effective skills to alleviate stress. Content includes: Assessing our strengths, resources, and protective factors; Building and broadening our capacity to manage stress; Problem-solving using thoughts, emotions, and skills; Building commitment to regularly use a stress management plan. Facilitated by the professional staff of the UMHS Employee Assistance Program (UMHS EAP) or by John Sonnega, PhD.
- June 19 & 26, 2013, 2:00pm - 4:00pm, Wolverine Tower, 6th floor, Rm 6017/6019 (Rewards Eligible)
- September 13 & 20, 2013, 11:00am - 1:00pm, Kellogg Eye Center, 6th Floor Conf Rm.
Understanding Anger: Its Impact on Self & Others
This two-part series creates an understanding about key aspects of participant's anger experiences (i.e., triggers, methods currently used to contain or express anger) and will seek to develop more effective skills for overall anger management. Facilitated by the professional staff of UMHS Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- November 8 & 15, 2013, 11:00am - 1:00pm, UH 2C224
Understanding Stress: Applying Strategies to Stay Balanced
This four-part series is designed to help you take control of your life by being able to recognize stressors and by understanding the stress response. Through a holistic approach to well-being, you will explore strategies to minimize the negative effects of stress along with participating in a variety of relaxation techniques. Facilitated by Theresa J. Landis, EdS. Lunch will be served.
- Fridays, October 4, 11, 18, 25, 11:00am - 12:15pm, Ontario Rm, UCEN. Flint Campus
A Breath of Fresh Air & Mindful Awareness
Breathing practices help with relaxation, focus, and performance. Slow and intentional breathing can quickly and easily improve your well-being. Mindfulness meditation helps you clear your mind by shifting your attention to the present moment. In this two-session class you'll learn more about these approaches, have a chance to practice them, and experience the benefits of relaxation and rejuvenation they offer. Facilitated by Sandra Finkel, MPH.
- Tuesdays, June 11 & 18, 2013, 2:00pm - 4:00 pm, Wolverine Tower, 6th floor, Rm 6017/6019 (Rewards Eligible)
Registration has closed
Pausing for Your Health & Well-Being.
Join the professional staff of the UMHS Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for directed discussions as an off-shoot of the popular Creating Possibilities workshop. Each session will explore a specific topic. Register for any one or more that interest you.
- Got Green? Connecting with Nature for Your Health, June 14, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, NCAC Conf Rm C
- The Way We're Working Isn't Working. July 12, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, UH B1C202
- Compassion, Forgiveness, Gratitude. October 18, 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, C&W 12-607
Questions? Please email MHealthyThrive@umich.edu