from stress to serenity—quickly!
When issues or events of the day begin to feel overwhelming to you, try one or more of these quick but effective relaxation techniques. Take the time to practice these techniques so you can easily use them whenever you begin to feel overcome with worry or stress.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose to a count of six, allowing air to fill your lungs up.
- Hold your breath for a count of four.
- Then exhale slowly and completely while counting to six again.
- Repeat this six or more times.
- Close your eyes and place yourself in the most peaceful, relaxing place you can imagine.
- Use music if possible which can help you relax as you mentally create the sights, sounds, and sensations of your personal oasis.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
- Starting with your face and working your way down to your feet, tense each muscle group in turn for a count of five then slowly relax for a count of 30.
- Repeat this at least once in each area before moving on to the next.