Summer Camp Program
- Camps Offered in Summer 2014
- General Camp Information
- Camp on the Move
- Theater Camp
- Junior Counselor
- Camp Forms and Information
Welcome to U-M Health System Children's Center's Summer School-Age Programs!
The University of Michigan Health System Children’s Center will once again offer three summer programs for elementary and middle schoolers: Camp on the Move, Theater Camp, and Junior Counselors! You can find more information on each camp below.
To enroll for any of our 2014 camp programs, please contact the UMHSCC office at 734-998-6195 or by email at email@example.com
- Many field trips, including swimming, are weather-dependent. No refunds will be issued for weather-related schedule changes. Every attempt will be made to replace a cancelled field trip with an equally awesome activity. Please be aware that if it is too hot or stormy, the campers will remain at their home base for safety reasons.
- All campers will need to bring a non-perishable lunch each day. Our programs are nut- and egg-aware – please DO NOT pack these items in your child’s lunch. A list of lunch and snack ideas is available on our website.
- If your child has food allergies, s/he MUST have an Allergy Action Plan completed and signed by a physician. This form is available on the Center website. Please turn this form in by May 30 and bring 2 Epi-pens on the first day of camp.
- If your camper has special health or behavioral needs, the counselors are happy to support these needs at camp. We appreciate knowing ahead of time how to best support your child. Please contact Cathy Gorga (firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss your child’s needs.
YOU WILL BE ASKED ON THE REGISTRATION SURVEY TO CHECK A BOX INDICATING THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE FOLLOWING POLICIES REGARDING FEES AND TUITION:
Tuition costs are as follows.
- Camp on the Move: $270 per week (Week 6 = $35 extra for long-distance field trip)
- Theater Camp: $1080 for four weeks
- Junior Counselors: $130 per week
- No sibling discounts are available.
- A non-refundable deposit of one week’s tuition + a $50 registration fee (= $320 for COTM and Theater Camp) per child is required within 7 calendar days of completing the online registration form. This may be mailed or delivered in person to the UMHS Children’s Center, 2601 Glazier Way, Ann Arbor, MI 48105. If the deposit is not received within 7 days of completing the online form, you may forfeit your spots.
- Total camp tuition is payable by check or money order to UMHSCC, due in full by May 30, 2014. Sorry, we do not accept credit cards at this time. If your account is not paid in full by May 30, you may forfeit your spot unless you speak with the director.
- If there is availability, you may add sessions at any time without any surcharges beyond tuition.
- There is a $25 drop or switch fee for each schedule change made between completing the online registration survey and the start of camp (June 16). This non-refundable fee will not be applied toward tuition.
- PLEASE NOTE: Families will not be refunded any money for weeks dropped once camp begins (June 16, 2014).
- While the costs of snacks, field trips, and bus travel are included in tuition, campers will need to either purchase a pool pass or pay the daily pool entrance rate.
- CAMP ON THE MOVE: If you need extended care for your child (7:00 – 7:30 a.m. or 5:30 – 6:00 p.m.) please designate as such at registration ($35 per week). If you do not register for these options, there will be a $20 charge for each child each time your child is at camp before 7:30 or past 5:30. After 6:00 p.m. the charge is $2 per minute, per child.
- THEATER CAMP: No extended care is offered for Theater Camp. If your child is at Theater Camp early or late, the charge is $2 per minute before 8:30 a.m. or after 5:30 p.m.
Let your child make the most of summer at the camp that’s got it all! At Camp on the Move, kids experience play-based activities at their home base, spend all morning exploring and discovering the city of Ann Arbor through hands-on field trips, and have a picnic lunch and an afternoon swim each day. This active camp offers ample time for play, sports, relaxing, reading, arts and crafts, and good ol’ summer fun! Camp on the Move will be held once again in the first-floor multi-purpose rooms at the Northwood Community Center, located at 1000 McIntyre Dr. in Ann Arbor.
Enrollment is for children currently in kindergarten through 4th grade ONLY. Camp will run from June 16 through August 28. Please note that Camp will be closed on Friday, July 4, and Friday, August 29. Camp is not available those days. Enrollment is full-day, full-time for each week.
A typical day at Camp on the Move is . . .
7:00 – 7:30 Camp opens (early care – extra fee)
7:30 - 9:00 Drop-off time; snack, choice of arts, sports, reading, games, or outdoor play
9:00 – 9:30 Campers split into groups and leave for their morning field trips via public buses
10:00-12:00 Field trip (specific field trip schedules for the summer are emailed the week before camp)
12:00 – 1:15 Lunch and playtime
1:30 - 3:00 Swimming/playing at Fuller Pool
3:30 – 4:00 Catch the bus back to camp
4:00 - 5:30 Pick-up time; snack, choice of arts, sports, reading, games, or outdoor play
5:30 - 6:00 Closing time (late care – extra fee)
Field Trip List*
Every morning, the groups at Camp On the Move ride the Ann Arbor & University of Michigan buses to various locations around town to experience the best of what this city has to offer! Field trips are planned in advance, taking into consideration developmental expectations, accessibility by bus or walking, and (of course) the fun factor. Additionally, each summer we schedule a number of on-site arts & crafts activities with local artists. Over the course of each week, each age group experiences a range of activities. These may include:
826 Michigan Writing Workshops
Ann Arbor Airport
Ann Arbor Civic Theater
Ann Arbor Fire Department
Ann Arbor Ice Cube
Ann Arbor Parks & Playgrounds – Allmendinger, Brown, Buhr, Burns Park, Diag, Eberwhite, Gallup, Sugarbush, Thurston, Vet’s, etc.
Ann Arbor Police Department
Bel-Mark Lanes (bowling)
Burton Memorial Tower
Camp-Wide Cookouts (every other week)
California Pizza Kitchen
Canoeing at Gallup Park
Chuck E. Cheese
Colonial Lanes (bowling)
Cottage Inn Pizza
Domino’s Farm and Petting Zoo
Downtown Library (weekly for each group)
FestiFools Puppet Studio
Graffiti Tour of Downtown Ann Arbor
Halloween in Summer
HSCC Theater Camp performances
Humane Society of Huron Valley
Imagination Station in Toledo, OH
Leslie Science Center
Monahan’s Seafood Market
Pet Supplies Plus
Planetarium @ UM Exhibit Museum of Natural History
Quest Martial Arts
Rolling Hills Water Park
Sonic Lunch at Liberty Plaza
Survival Flight @ U-M Health System
UMove Fitness & KidSport
University of Michigan Division of Public Safety & Security
U-M Museum of Natural History
U-M Race Car Headquarters
U-M Solar Car Headquarters
Ypsilanti Firehouse Museum
*Please be advised that specific field trips on this list may not apply to all age groups, and that each group will not complete every field trip during the summer. Our final calendar is available in mid-June.
If we could call it “Glee Camp,” we would! During this four-week camp, all campers will experience the full range of activities involved in putting on a musical, including acting, memorizing scripts, singing songs individually and in groups, creating dances and designing scenery and props for their show. The campers will go on field trips associated with creating a theater production and will go to an Ann Arbor pool many afternoons. Theater Camp will once again be held at the 242 Church at 410 S. Maple in Ann Arbor. The camp will run from June 16 – July 11, ending with large productions on July 9, 10, and 11. Operating hours are 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
What about your middle school-aged child who is too old to attend Camp on the Move, but isn’t quite ready to spend an entire summer at home? Our Junior Counselor program helps address this problem. JCs will assist Camp on the Move counselors throughout each day by playing with campers, helping during transit to and from field trips, modeling behavior and encouraging participation, and helping during lunchtime picnics. The JCs will have some free time each afternoon at the pool. Due to popular demand, only COTM alumni will be allowed to register in our JC program. Junior Counselors attend week-by-week for no more than two weeks throughout the summer. The JC program is available for six weeks – weeks 3 – 8 only (June 30 – August 8); we will accept 4 JCs per week.
We can’t wait for another great year of camp and look forward to seeing you!